Golden Visa — how to obtain the residency in Spain

Since the end of 2013 a purchase by the own funds of a property of 500.000 euros or more (it can be one property or several properties for a total purchase price of at least 500.000 euros) gives a right to receive a spanish residency automatically. This type of visa is known as a SPANISH GOLDEN VISA or SPANISH INVESTMENT VISA.

To obtain this visa the applicant must fulfil the following requirements:

  • not to have entered or stayed illegally in Spain.
  • have to be 18 years old or more.
  • not to have been refused entry in any of the Schengen countries.
  • have public or private health insurance authorized to operate in Spain.
  • have sufficient economic resources to cover personal and family living expenses.
  • prove ownership of one or more immovable properties in Spain with an overall net investment over 500,000 euros.
  • proof of the investment must be made through a Property Registry certificate that confirms the ownership. If the ownership title is not registered yet it can be made through a copy of a Public Deed and a proof of its submission to the Property Registry.

Key facts about the GOLDEN VISA:

  • a flexibility: there is no requirement to reside in Spain.
  • once an investment is made you receive a one-year investor visa that allows you to spend 1 year in Spain.
  • after this first year it is possible to apply for 2 years recidency that can be renewed for another 2 years so many times as you want so long as the investment threshold of 500.000 euros is maintained.
  • after living in Spain for 5 years there is a right to obtain a permanent 5-year residency visa which is then renewable every 5 years.
  • a possibility to travel without a visa within the 26 European countries of the Schengen zone.
  • a right to obtain a full family residency.
  • a right to work in Spain.
  • the couples that purchase properties together are not required to invest 500,000 euros minimum individually.
  • a possibility to purchase properties in Spain directly or indirectly through a company as long as the investor owns the majority of shares.

Looking for property in Spain?

My name is Anna Glinskaya, I'm realtor in Barcelona, Spain. I will be happy to work with you. Contact me today!